Your own culture is very difficult to see and understand when you are in it. Rather like a fish in water, a familiar surrounding quickly becomes transparent. We look through it and not at it.
If you have not considered your organisation’s culture before, or are simply too busy doing other things to pay attention to the culture, here is a short list of some symptoms to look out for that will tell you if your culture needs immediate attention.
- A drop in performance
- Drop in productivity
- Ongoing loss of staff
- Loss of key talent
- Regular breakdowns in communication
- Increase in customer complaints regarding your staff’s attitude or levels of service
- Troubling staff engagement survey results
- Slow pace of decision making or implementation
- Increased absenteeism or theft
- Staff complaints
- Manager not coping with staff performance levels
- Ongoing personal grievances
- Sales teams suffering from call reluctance
When these symptoms occur in a company culture, and especially if a few occur at the same time, your culture is costing you money, productivity, performance and energy. Don’t wait until its convenient. Get to work on your culture immediately.
Cultural Observation For Consideration.
John Lennon said that life is what happens to you while you’re making other plans. Well company culture is what happens to you while you’re implementing business plans. Watch your organisation performing and you will see its culture at work.