This week I’ve been working in London and eventually found some time to visit the only tourist site of interest to me, Churchill's underground war strategy bunker.
Long story short…. it was fascinating, but what really piqued my interest were some of Winston's quotes. They not only rallied a nation in its darkest hour to persevere and eventually emerge victorious, they have endured and continue to add value and inspiration in a different time and a variety of contexts.
One of my earliest memories is watching Winston Churchill’s funeral on TV and sensing, even though I was too young to truly understand what I was watching, that someone special was being celebrated.
Here are a few of Churchill's quotes that caught my eye, as I believe them to be pertinent messages for high performing cultures in organisations. Enjoy reading them, reflect on their meaning and consider if you deliver them in your culture.
- “There is nothing wrong in change, if it is in the right direction. To improve is to change, so to be perfect is to have changed often”.
- “The price of greatness is responsibility”.
- “Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is courage to continue that counts”.
- “To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day”.
- “I am easily satisfied with the very best”.
- “Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference”.